"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"







Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Such a time as this

Esther 4:14b "...And who know but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"

Ever since I was in high school, this verse stood out to me. First of all, if you have never read Esther, I encourage you to. It is a short easy read, but very powerful. I read the book again today. It encourages me every time. I will give you the "short" version.

During the time of Xerxes, King Xerxes displayed his wealth and splendor for a a full 180 days. He gave a banquet lasting seven day in the palace for the "greatest" people in the land. This was the party of all parties. There were couches made of gold and silver. Mosaics and Marble were everywhere, each guest had his own unique goblet made of gold to drink as much wine and whichever kind they wanted. (I can just picture what this party must have looked like.) On the last day, King Xerxes, wanted to show off his wife, Queen Vashti, to all the people. He wanted them to see her beauty. While King Xerxes was having his banquet, Queen Vashti decided to have one of her own for a few of the "noble" women. When word came to her that the king wanted her at his party to show her off, she refused to go.

Since she refused  the king in front of all the people and in front of all the women, the men were worried that the other women would follow in this behavior, so King Xerxes sent out a royal decree that Vashti was never again to enter the presence of King Xerxes, that her position be given to someone else, who was better than her, and that all women will respect their husbands because he is the ruler of the household.

When Xerxes had calmed down, his personal attendents suggested that they bring in beautiful firls and let the king choose who would replace Vashti. All the women brought in went through a year's worth of beauty treatments before they were allowed to see the King.

One of the ladies brought in was Esther. Her parents had died when she was young and she was raised by Mordecai, a Jew. He instructed her not to tell anyone where she was from. Esther was VERY beautiful and she pleased the eye of King Xerxes, thus she became the new Queen.

To make a long story short, Mordecai sent word to Queen Esther that some guys were planning on killing Xerxes. Esther told the right people and King Xerxes was saved and the guys were killed that had planned to kill him. Mordecai recieved no credit, but it was all written in the book of annals. Haman, King Xerxes trusted friend, found out that Mordecai had refused to bow to the king and that he was a Jew. So Haman got the King to agree to kill off all of the Jews.

Mordecai was outside the palace wailing because he knew what was about to happen when Esther spotted him. She sent her servants to find out why he was in such agony. Mordecai told them everything and asked if Esther could help her people. She said that she would but was not allowed to talk to King Xerxes without permission and only within a certain time, that she had already passed. Mordecai sent word back to her "...and who knows that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"

Esther agreed to petition Xerxes, even if it meant she perished. To wrap up, Esther petitioned and her people, the Jews, were saved and Haman and his sons were all killed.

SO, why does this story stand out to me?

Esther was placed as Queen to serve ONE purpose, to save the Jews. She did not know why she was where she was, or even how she got there. She didn't know why her parent's died, why she had live with Mordecai, why she had to live in a palace for a year and recieve beauty treatments, why she didn't get to choose her husband. The Bible never once said that she complained about any of her circumstances. She went through all that stuff for ONE moment. ONE meeting with King Xerxes is what she lived for.

This makes me think, what am I here for? I know I am supposed to spread the word of Jesus, but what if I lived my life, gone through hard times, all to prepare me for ONE thing. I hope I am ready and prepared to rise "at such a time as this." I want to please the Lord and not miss my time to rise. Is he calling you now to rise on something? If so, don't hesitate because,
"...And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"

Lord, I pray that I don't miss my time to rise, that I don't miss my purpose. Please help remind me that it doesn't matter why I go through certain things in my life. Help me remember that everything is preparing me for something bigger and better. Help me have the confidence to stand, just like Esther, when my time comes. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment